Search This Blog

Pinteresting

Follow Me on Pinterest

Catholic Mothers Online

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 3, 2010

40 day devotional-Day 2


"At that time the disciples approached Jesus and said, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" He called a child over, placed it in their midst, and said, "Amen, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever receives one child such as this in my name receives me. "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of things that cause sin! Such things must come, but woe to the one through whom they come! If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter into life maimed or crippled than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into fiery Gehenna. "See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father." Matthew 18:1-11 (NAB)


Christ constantly reminds us that being child-like and simple is essential for getting into heaven. He also says "whoever recieves one of these in my name recieves me." He had a love for the poor and the afflicted, whose simplicity is evident. When I tell people about my daughter Willow having Autism, the reply I get most often is "I'm sorry." I am getting very candid and my response is always "I'm not." I go on to tell them that if the only thing that we are here for is to prepare for eternity...Willow is a shoe in! I really do worry about my other children more. I worry about Willow's safety and care but not her salvation. She is simple and pure. She does not have a mean bone in her body. That is a direct contrast to the secular attitude that children with special needs are a burden. It is because the modern day attitude is that if you child isn't smart, pretty, or talented enough to make money they aren't worth anything. God says different. He says we need to be focused on him, not ourselves. The rest is vanity. We need to look to these children and what they can teach us. Do not give in to what the worlds says. They are blessed and privileged.


Today's prayer: Lord, help me to be humble and simple like a child.

No comments: