Search This Blog

Pinteresting

Follow Me on Pinterest

Catholic Mothers Online

Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Guardian Angels


This week has been a tough one. Willow got out from the house again and this time she was gone for over 30 minutes. We had to call the police. I really can't describe how terrifying this is. It is just something you have to experience for yourself. All you do is drive around and pray that when you find her she is not hurt, molested...or dead. As terrifying as these experiences are, they are Grace filled. You can see Gods face in every person you encounter. Her rescues are a miracle every time. Thankfully, it was a beautiful day when she got out. There were tons of people out playing in their yards and in the street. When they heard my panicked cries for Willow it soon drew a crowd and we started sweeping the neighborhood. I had 15-20 people out looking for her on foot, bicycles, and cars! I was flagged down by my neighbor Amy and she told me they had found her and she was safe. I let myself break down. She was in one of my neighbors backyards bouncing on the trampoline completely oblivious to the scene around her. In her own happy little world. The police showed up and I went out to greet him. I walked through the gate with Willow on my hip and all 15-20 people were gathered there, cheering and clapping! It was one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. My community completely came together to help us find our daughter. I also knew God had his hand in protecting her when officer Baul showed up with a Saint Michael tattoo on his arm. My patron Saint for Willow. They are building a data base at the Tulsa Police. They took all of Willow's vital information, a picture, and where she usually goes. We have a case number and if we call they will automatically respond to seal the area. The Tulsa Autism Center is also working with the police to help get tracking software for these kids. We are also buying this in order to help track her. We are also looking into the possibility of getting a search and rescue dog for her. Anyway, keep her in your prayers that God keeps her safe.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hello, I just discovered your blog today via the "Kind Conversation" group...

I'm so happy your daughter was found safe and sound. I know the fear you describe, my oldest is moderately autistic and used to disappear too. Once was in Jasper, Alberta in the height of tourist season! Luckily, my husband found him by the time the police showed up - the little stinker had gone to the ice cream shop we'd passed on our walk through the town (we were driving through on our way to my mom's). Once, he was gone for half an hour in a famous dinosaur museum that was packed full of people. Again, it was my husband who'd managed to find him. There've been other occasions as well.

I don't know how old your daughter is but thought you might take some comfort in the fact that my son has somewhat outgrown this tendency. He's now our "watchdog" for our other children. When we are out and about he's always the first to notice when one goes missing. He still will wander off on his own a bit - he's now 13 and has a mind of his own - but he is much more concerned about finding us again now. The search and rescue dog sounds like a good idea too, and the GPS tracker is definitely a good idea.

Anyway, glad I found your blog!

KC said...

I'm so glad Willow was safe. Isn't it amazing how oblivious they can be?

Susan, my son is like yours. He would wander when he was much younger but runs herd on the others now. Having said that, he did disappear once for a while that totally panicked me. Turns out he was in the adoration chapel.

This is a great blog! Found it through Kind Conversation as well.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. You don't know how much comfort you just gave me! I don't know anyone else who has a child that runs like mine. It is unfortunate, but we actually have had a couple of kids get out on the spectrum here and die. Several other wandered of and were very scared, but found. Please pray for my Willow that the Lord keeps her safe!